Friday, September 7, 2007

The Rainbow Connection

I know that it might be corny to admit but one of my favorite songs of all time is "The Rainbow Connection." In fact I must admit that it comes from one of my favorite movies of all time, "The Muppet Movie." The movie opens, for those of you who don't remember, with a shot looking down from the sky that slowly moves down to Kermit the Frog playing the banjo and singing. He is singing the song "The Rainbow Connection." Logan and I both love the movie. We enjoy spending lazy Sunday Afternoons whiling away the hours watching the adventures of Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, and Miss. Piggy. We also love singing the songs from the movie. We will listen to songs like Rainbow Connection and Movin' Right Along on the i-pod while we travel on the train. We even like to share our favorite lines from the movie. There was a while where Logan loved to peer over my shoulder while I carried him on my shoulder and whisper in my ear, "Motorcycle cop." Which is what Kermit whispers to Miss Piggy in the movie. We both love the movie. I am not sure about Jenny. I think that she likes the movie, but she is not as fanatical as Logan and me.

Why am I rambling about The Muppet Movie and Kermit the Frog? Well the other night we saw the most beautiful and perfect rainbow that I have ever had the opportunity to witness. We were all sitting at the dinner table enjoying the last few bites of our spaghetti when I happened to look out the back window of our apartment. I had to do a double take because I thought that I saw a rainbow. I got out of my chair and I walked over to the window to peer out at the evening sky. I could see a beautiful rainbow arcing down directly in front of me. I ran to the other side of the apartment, yes I ran the whole twenty feet, to get the camera from the desk where it lay. I came back to the living room and took a step out onto the balcony and tried my best to take a photograph of the magnificent arch that was simply painted across the sky. It was as I was taking a picture that Jenny who was standing directly behind me remarked that if you followed the bow far enough you could see that there were really two complete rainbows across our horizon. By looking off to our left we could see one end of the rainbow and following it right we could see the entire arch. It was truly an amazing sight. We could see the whole thing, from one end to the other. The ends were even shrouded in some clouds. It was the perfect cloud, like a poster on the wall of a sixth grade girl's bedroom. The only difference was that there were no unicorns flying around, and the fact that it was real. Simply stunning.

No comments: